Man Brutally Attacks Gay Man For "Turning His Brother Gay" After They Had Sex

A gay man had to beg for an ambulance and was told he was going to die after his attacker took umbrage to the fact he had 'slept with his brother'.

Luke Pope, 29, of Douglas Avenue in Whitstable, launched a brutal attack on his victim who had shared a taxi with him after leaving Cameo nightclub in Ashford.

The homophobic attack, which lasted around 15 to 20 minutes, took place because the assailant said the victim "was one of the reasons his brother was gay".

'I tried to curl up in a fetal position to protect myself'
Pope pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm at Folkestone Magistrates' Court today (March 28) but will be sentenced at crown court due to the severity of the attack.

In a statement read to the court, the victim said: "He kicked me in the ribs a couple of times. I tried to curl up in the fetal position to protect myself.

“He was squeezing my neck. At one point I thought I was going to pass out.

“He then let go and smashed my head on the floor.

“He then took my mobile phone off me. He left me on the floor, and threw me over a low fence and into a stream.

“Then he made me beg to call an ambulance. I had to ask three or four times before he called one.”

"The assault took 15 to 20 minutes, but it felt like a lifetime.”

Anna Kachingwe, prosecuting, said the victim and the defendant were dropped off outside Harvester on February 2 when Pope rushed up behind the victim and punched him in the head.

She said: "Whilst he was on the floor, he repeatedly punched the victim and kicked him in the head and ribs, and put his hands around his neck.

'Get the police or I will kill you'
“He was making comments saying he was disgusting, dirty and wrong.

“The defendant then threw the victim over a short fence in the street. The victim believed this took place due to his sexuality.

“The victim said the defendant then started blaming him for being one of the reasons that the defendant’s brother was gay, saying the victim had slept with his brother.”

Ms Kachingwe added: “He then said to the victim the only reason he was letting him live was because he was being nice.

"He said 'get the police or I will kill you – you are lucky to be alive, you could be dead.'

"The 999 operators could hear Pope in the background saying, 'get the police or I will f****** kill you, I’m going to come down and finish you off, you f****** c***.'”

George Crowe, defending, said Pope has suffered mental health issues throughout his life and began drinking to excess when his grandfather died.

He said: "The defendant said from the dock himself, I’m ashamed to say I’m guilty. He showed an incredible amount of remorse in interview.

“He has been extremely candid and honest.

“He is sitting in the dock with his head down. He is ashamed.”

The defence said Pope also took part in an affray around the same time of the homophobic attack, which he is being sentenced for at Margate Magistrates' tomorrow (March 29).